Thursday, January 24, 2008

Home Inc.

I am kind of reluctant to tell some family members and friends that I stay home full-time with my daughter. But, they love to ask… Often, instead of cheers and encouragement I get comments like, "Why are you wasting your education?" and, "Won’t you miss doing something with your brain?" Well, anyone who’s ever stayed home with their children for any length of time knows that it takes brains to raise kids. In fact, in the eleven months that I’ve been a stay-at-home mother, I have learned more about time management, efficiencies, sustainability of resources, negotiation and EQ than I did during the many years I spent working for a large established company.

Some ask me, "Why?". Well, one of the reasons I had my daughter was to be with her and I like her (most of the time :P). Sure it can be tough but all paths in life have tough moments, they help us to grow. Indeed, I have done quite a fair amount of growing up in the past months. Still, my pace can barely keep up with my daughter’s. She’s growing at an amazing speed, day in and day out, she surprises me. There’s not one moment I want to miss growing with her.

Some may ask, is being a stay-at-home mom harder work than holding down a full time job outside the home? It’s certainly a different kind of hard work, and it deserves respect, as well. Though I have, many times, wondered if I’ve made the right decision to stay home with my baby, whether due to a comment heard from a loved one about wasting my education, or contemplating to make a big purchase after cutting the household income, or dealing with the lack of my own personal income and inevitably being tempted to go back to work.

I still relish in the fact that my mother always sent me off to school in the morning (most of the time in a chaotic manner, …hahaha…) and was always home when I got home from school. That was such a constant source of comfort to me. I feel very good about the fact that my mother has always been a constant in a constantly changing world for me and I want to pass on this legacy to my daughter.

No comments: