Sunday, May 20, 2007

Baby blues

I've read about and heard of "Baby Blues" before but I didn't see myself in such situation nor did I think that it would ever happen to me. After the delivery, I was exhilarated and that blissful feeling was with me until now... after 3 months. Even though I have a little mood swing now and then, it usually go away shortly.

Lately, I've had quite a few mood swings and episodes of meltdowns... sometimes tears just rolled out, for seemingly minute matters. I figured this shouldn't be overlooked so I did a little research and do a self diagnosis.

Depression that occurs within 6 months of childbirth may be postpartum depression. There is also what is called "Postpartum Depression with Anxiety/Panic Disorder". Here are some symptoms of postpartum depression:
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in life -- too busy to think about this
  • Loss of appetite -- well, I eat like a horse
  • Less energy and motivation to do things -- true, sometimes I need to drag myself out of bed...
  • A hard time falling asleep or staying asleep -- not a bit, I fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow
  • Sleeping more than usual -- I'd love to ...
  • Increased crying or tearfulness -- hmm... this is close
  • Feeling worthless, hopeless or overly guilty -- haven't gone this far
  • Feeling restless, irritable or anxious -- all the time... now, can we do this faster?
  • Unexplained weight loss or gain -- how I wish I can lose weight faster...
  • Feeling like life isn't worth living -- this is serious... I'm glad that I'm still alive
  • Having thoughts about hurting yourself -- my threshold for pain tolerance is way too low to do this ...
  • Worrying about hurting your baby -- can't possibly think of this one
In addition to having symptoms of "Postpartum depression", the new mother may experience:
  • difficulty concentrating and remembering
  • difficulty making decisions
  • difficulty completing simple tasks such as doing the dishes or the laundry
  • insomnia
  • exhaustion
  • loss of appetite
  • may have suicidal thoughts
  • Anxiety/Panic Attacks
A lot of the same symptoms just a bit more overwhelming, as the panic attack is added to it. Although the panic attacks are discrete episodes, the individual may develop varying degrees of nervousness and apprehension between attacks characterized by tension, agitation, vigilance and scanning.

A panic attack is, a discreet episode of intense fear reaching its peak intensity within 10 minutes from onset. Often associated with or accompanied by feelings of impending doom.

At least 4 of the following 14 symptoms are present during an attack:
  • shortness of breath
  • choking or smothering sensation
  • palpitations or accelerated heart rate
  • chest pain or discomfort
  • sweating
  • faintness
  • dizziness, lightheadedness or unsteady feelings
  • nausea or abdominal distress
  • depersonalization (feeling disoriented or that the world has become unreal)
  • tingling sensation (parasthesia)
  • hot flashes or chills
  • trembling or shaking
  • fear of dying
  • fear of going crazy or doing something uncontrolled

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be fine.
I'll pray for you.
HUGS!

Ann Sakura said...

Thanks. I'm fine already. :)